How about a fun quiz about the Amish? No peeking at the answers! And no Googling!
1. How many US states have a significant Amish population?
2. How many Amish settlements (geographic communities) are in the US?
3. How many Amish districts (congregations) are there in the US?
4. What is the total US Amish population?
5. What is the average number of people in a district in the US?
6. What percentage of US settlements have only one district?
7. Typically, how many families are in a congregation in a US district?
8. What is the combined percentage of US Amish who live in the three states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana?
How do you think you did? (Answers are below.) For more information on Amish by the numbers, check out:
“Amish Population by State/Province, 2015.” Young Center for Anabaptist and Pietist Studies, Elizabethtown College. (CLICK HERE)
“Amish Population Profile 2015.” Young Center for Anabaptist and Pietist Studies, Elizabethtown College. (CLICK HERE)
Answers: 1-C; 2-B; 3-D; 4-B; 5-A; 6-B; 7-B; 8-C
Fun news: Wonderful Lonesome is on sale for $0.99! (Check price before purchasing) Here’s a little about the book:
In a struggling Amish settlement on the harsh Colorado plain, Abbie Weaver refuses to concede defeat to hail, drought, and coyotes, even as families begin to give up and return east. The biggest challenge of all is the lack of a spiritual shepherd and regular worship. When Abbie discovers the root of a spiritual divide that runs through the settlement, she faces her own decisions about what she believes. She must choose between a quiet love in her cherished church, passion with a man determined to leave the church, or imagining her life with neither.